How does the body process alcohol?

Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD

The body processes alcohol by absorbing it first in the stomach (20%) and then the small intestine (80%). Then the liver starts breaking it down with an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase and finally it turns either into energy or fat. A typical person can only process 5-7 grams of alcohol (1/2 of a typical drink) per hour without becoming intoxicated.

Emilia Klapp
Alcohol passes swiftly from the digestive tract to the blood without being broken down; it then heads to the liver to be metabolized. If you drink alcohol faster than the liver can process it, your brain function becomes impaired, causing intoxication.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or glass of wine, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in...
Should I eat before going out for drinks?
Keri GansKeri Gans
You should eat a meal before you go for drinks. If it is an early night, eat a snack. Without a meal...
How does alcohol affect my heart?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Excessive alcohol use can raise blood pressure and cause heart failure. It can also contribute to ob...
How Does Smoking (or Vaporizing) Alcohol Affect the Body?