How can sobriety checkpoints help deter drunk driving?

At sobriety checkpoints, law enforcement officers stop drivers to assess their level of alcohol impairment. Checkpoints do more than simply increase arrests; they deter impaired driving by increasing drivers’ perceived risk of arrest if they choose to get behind the wheel after drinking. 

Research has shown that checkpoints prevent impaired driving. A review of more than 20 studies shows that checkpoints resulted in a median 20% decrease in impaired driving crashes and deaths.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

What should I know about drinking champagne?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The effects of champagne can sneak up on you. In this video, I will reveal how the bubbles in champa...
Is happy hour good for the heart?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
It seems that a couple of beers after you finish work for the day can help raise your HDL cholestero...
What does drinking in moderation mean?
For men under the age of 65, two drinks a day is considered moderate drinking. If you're female or a...
Does Your Face Flush After Drinking Alcohol?