How can I make sure my party guests stay safe while drinking?

People who are hosting parties can take steps to ensure their guests stay safe and avoid alcohol-related problems. University of California, Davis experts offer these tips:
  • Don't pressure anyone to drink.
  • Offer a variety of non-alcoholic beverages and serve food.
  • Stop serving alcohol at least one hour before the party ends.
  • Don't let guests who are drunk continue drinking.
  • Don't allow guests to drive if they have had too much to drink. Remember: Coffee or a cold shower won't sober someone up. It takes time to get alcohol out of the blood.
  • People with drinking problems should create a plan for how they will manage holiday parties or other events where alcohol is served.
Partygoers don't have to bring alcohol as a gift for the host, the experts note. Tea, hot chocolate, cider and coffee are great non-alcoholic alternatives.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
Which foods have similar health benefits to wine?
If you cannot consume wine, you can get these same benefits from a grapeseed oil scrub made from the...
Between dark or light alcohol, which is healthier for me?
Drinking in moderation can actually be healthy for you because it decreases risk of cardiovascul...
What Are the Warnings and Dangers of Smoking (or Vaporizing) Alcohol?