How do other illnesses affect hangovers?

Hangovers can occur with many other illnesses. People with heart disease and a hangover are at risk for severe complications, including death. People who experience hangovers are more likely to suffer from mental illnesses such as depression. People who are at increased risk for developing alcoholism may also have more frequent and more severe hangovers than those who are not at risk. Check with your doctor before consuming alcohol if you are taking medications for other illnesses (e.g., beta-blockers, antihistamines, diabetes medications), as there are many drugs that shouldn't be mixed with alcohol.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or glass of wine, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health
8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health
Feeling down, tired or broke after having a few drinks? Learn to recognize the not-so-obvious ways that alcohol can affect your overall quality of lif...
How to Pick a Healthy Beer
How to Pick a Healthy Beer