How much alcohol use is too much?

Drinking more than 14 drinks a week for men or more than seven drinks a week for women is associated with an increased risk of health consequences, as is drinking more than four (women) or five (men) drinks per occasion. Alcohol consumption is only one piece of the equation, however. Not everyone who drinks has a drinking problem, and not everyone who has a drinking problem drinks every day. Try asking yourself the following questions:
  • Have I failed to do what was expected of me because of my drinking?
  • Have I ever felt guilty or concerned about my drinking?
  • Has drinking impacted my relationships with family and friends?
  • Has anyone in my life been worried about my drinking or asked me to cut down?
If you answered yes to any of these questions you might want to think about the impact drinking has on your life and whether making a change would improve your health and quality of life. Most people who make changes in their alcohol use do this on their own. If you have additional questions, or would like some assistance, talk with your doctor who can help you formulate a plan, or refer you for additional assistance. 

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Hidden Health Risks of That Extra Drink
“It’s quarter to three and there’s no one in the place, but you and me. One for my baby and one more for the road.” That’s the chorus of the hit song,...
How can I help prevent drunk driving?
Everyone can help prevent drinking and driving by choosing not to drink and drive and help others do...
How can I enjoy alcohol safely?
The best way to enjoy alcohol safely is to drink only in moderation. Recommendations are that women ...
The 30-Day Dry Out Plan You Need to Try
The 30-Day Dry Out Plan You Need to Try