How much alcohol use is too much?

Drinking more than 14 drinks a week for men or more than seven drinks a week for women is associated with an increased risk of health consequences, as is drinking more than four (women) or five (men) drinks per occasion. Alcohol consumption is only one piece of the equation, however. Not everyone who drinks has a drinking problem, and not everyone who has a drinking problem drinks every day. Try asking yourself the following questions:
  • Have I failed to do what was expected of me because of my drinking?
  • Have I ever felt guilty or concerned about my drinking?
  • Has drinking impacted my relationships with family and friends?
  • Has anyone in my life been worried about my drinking or asked me to cut down?
If you answered yes to any of these questions you might want to think about the impact drinking has on your life and whether making a change would improve your health and quality of life. Most people who make changes in their alcohol use do this on their own. If you have additional questions, or would like some assistance, talk with your doctor who can help you formulate a plan, or refer you for additional assistance. 

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
Why are women more sensitive to the effects of alcohol than men?
Dr. Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDDr. Paul Hokemeyer, PhD
There are three key physical factors that make women more susceptible to alcohol related problems th...
Is happy hour good for the heart?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
It seems that a couple of beers after you finish work for the day can help raise your HDL cholestero...
Does Your Face Flush After Drinking Alcohol?