How much alcohol use is too much?

Drinking more than 14 drinks a week for men or more than seven drinks a week for women is associated with an increased risk of health consequences, as is drinking more than four (women) or five (men) drinks per occasion. Alcohol consumption is only one piece of the equation, however. Not everyone who drinks has a drinking problem, and not everyone who has a drinking problem drinks every day. Try asking yourself the following questions:
  • Have I failed to do what was expected of me because of my drinking?
  • Have I ever felt guilty or concerned about my drinking?
  • Has drinking impacted my relationships with family and friends?
  • Has anyone in my life been worried about my drinking or asked me to cut down?
If you answered yes to any of these questions you might want to think about the impact drinking has on your life and whether making a change would improve your health and quality of life. Most people who make changes in their alcohol use do this on their own. If you have additional questions, or would like some assistance, talk with your doctor who can help you formulate a plan, or refer you for additional assistance. 

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Can Drinking Alcohol Raise Your Cancer Risk?
Did you know alcohol is a risk factor for cancer? If you answered no, you’re not alone. According to the American Institute for Cancer Research (AIRC)...
What is powdered alcohol?
Powdered alcohol, or alcohol powder, is a product turns into liquid alcohol when mixed with water. I...
What are the effects of alcohol?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Alcohol is a depressant, which means it slows down the central nervous system just like other se...
Is Binge Drinking Serious?
Is Binge Drinking Serious?