How can an individual's hangover be a public problem?

Sheila Dunnells
Addiction Medicine
Many alcoholics drink late into the evening. By the time they get up in the morning, not all alcoholics have "slept it off." Technically they are impaired. Those in professions, such as medicine, driving heavy equipment, or operating planes, trains, etc. are a danger to society. 

Hangover symptoms account for billion of dollars in lost wages every year. This is mostly due to work absenteeism and lowered productivity, making hangovers a public concern for many occupations. Hangovers also impair a person's concentration and visual-spatial skills (i.e., the ability to orient objects in space around you).

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

What Really Happens to Your Body When You Drink
Whether it’s a pint of beer at the pub or a glass of wine at the end of a long day, we often think of alcohol as a good thing. Drinking relaxes us. It...
Between dark or light alcohol, which is healthier for me?
Drinking in moderation can actually be healthy for you because it decreases risk of cardiovascul...
How much alcohol should I drink daily to help my heart?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Dozens of studies have suggested that moderate consumption of alcohol reduces the risk for heart...
Does Your Face Flush After Drinking Alcohol?