How does drinking alcohol affect my liver?

The liver is the principle site of metabolism of alcohol and as such remains at the highest risk of damage -- and aging -- from alcohol use. Liver scarring from use of alcohol (cirrhosis) can cause considerable aging. In some urban areas, it's the fourth leading cause of death for individuals twenty-five to sixty-four years of age. Cirrhosis of the liver (alcoholic hepatitis) can cause a person to age even faster than many types of cancers. Because cirrhosis of the liver causes irreversible structural damage, there are few treatment options for the disease once it reaches an advanced stage. Damage to the liver also appears related to a higher risk of cancer.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Health Benefits of Giving up Alcohol for One Month a Year
Dean Martin and Foster Brooks had successful Las Vegas nightclub careers based on characters who were fun-loving drunks. Once people sobered up and re...
Why is powdered alcohol controversial?
Powdered alcohol is controversial for many reasons. It is not regulated by the Food and Drug Adm...
What should I know about drinking champagne?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The effects of champagne can sneak up on you. In this video, I will reveal how the bubbles in champa...
Why Craft Beer Is Better
Why Craft Beer Is Better