How can drinking alcohol affect my appetite?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness

Alcohol is notorious for leading people to overeat because of its physiological effect on appetite and because it is generally consumed in a social setting where food is plentiful. There is no place to store alcohol in our bodies the way we do food; therefore the body must preferentially use incoming alcohol as its energy source in order to keep it from reaching toxic levels. This gives alcohol its natural ability to stimulate appetite by depleting your glycogen (carbohydrate) stores in order to metabolize it, causing you to begin to crave carbohydrates. Alcohol also acts like a diuretic, increasing urination thus decreasing electrolytes like sodium. Again, we now begin to crave the things we are losing, hence our desire for salty carbohydrate-like foods (e.g. chips, dips, crackers, etc.). When you combine alcohol's natural effects on appetite with its well known un-inhibiting effects at a destination full of palatable foods, you have hungry people who often end up with no cares about what and how much food they consume.

Dana Friedman, RD
It is always a good idea to try and limit your alcohol consumption because it can increase your appetite and lower your resolve to stay in control of your healthy eating goals. A good guide for alcohol consumption is either one glass of wine, 12 ounces of beer or 1 1/2 ounces of hard liquor. Women should have one serving while men can have 2 servings. Remember that mixed drinks can often be high in calories because of the ingredients the alcohol is mixed with.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Excessive Alcohol Use Responsible for 88,000 US Deaths—Here's How to Cut Back
Even people who don't drink daily can get in trouble with alcohol. Overall, about one in six Americans binge drink about four times a month, defined a...
How much alcohol should I drink daily to help my heart?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Dozens of studies have suggested that moderate consumption of alcohol reduces the risk for heart...
How can I protect myself against drunk drivers?
Your best defense against a drunk driver is to buckle up every time. Every person in every seat shou...
Why Craft Beer Is Better
Why Craft Beer Is Better