How does alcohol affect my heart?

A daily glass or two of red wine or other alcoholic beverage may help lower your risk for cardiovascular disease by 25 to 40 percent. That's because the ethanol in all forms of alcohol helps increase HDL (good) cholesterol and prevent blood clots. The key is moderation: no more than one drink per day for the ladies; two for the gents.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Are drivers with a DWI conviction likely to drink and drive again?
Drivers with previous driving while impaired (DWI) convictions pose a substantial risk of offending ...
How much alcohol is it healthy for a woman to drink?
Mosaraf Ali, MDMosaraf Ali, MD
Recommendations for maximum alcohol intake for a woman vary between 14 and 21 units a week. People o...
How can I help prevent drunk driving?
Everyone can help prevent drinking and driving by choosing not to drink and drive and help others do...
Why does alcohol cause dehydration?
Alcohol gets broken down by your body into different compounds. The alcohol chemical itself tells yo...