How does alcohol affect the elderly?

Even if you don't imbibe more as a senior than you did throughout your life, alcohol will affect you more intensely. That's because as we age, we lose lean body mass and take on body fat. Body fat decreases the body's amount of water. Alcohol is soluble in water, so if a 21-year-old and a 65-year-old drink the same amount, the blood-alcohol level of the older person will be higher.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Alcohol-Cigarette Equivalency
The Alcohol-Cigarette Equivalency
In Paul Newman’s booze- and cigarette-laced performance in the 1982 film The Verdict, a man struggles to find a way out of his smoky, alcoholic haze. ...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
Should I drink in moderation to protect my heart?
Randolph P. Martin, MDRandolph P. Martin, MD
Modest to low intake of alcohol on a regular basis has been known to decrease your chance of a heart...
How to Pick a Healthy Beer
How to Pick a Healthy Beer