How can alcohol affect my stomach?

Patricia Raymond, MD
Gastroenterology
Alcohol may cause irritation of the stomach, called alcoholic gastritis. However, population studies suggest that moderate alcohol intake is associated with a reduced likelihood of H pylori infection, the causal organism in duodenal ulcers and gastric cancer. Although alcohol is not recommended as treatment for H pylori infection (you need a standard course of antibiotics), the Society of Wine Educators does suggest validity in I Timothy 5:23: “Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities.”

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Alcohol and Cancer: What's the Connection?
Drinking is associated with a laundry list of health risks—more than 200 if you’re keeping track. The more you drink, the greater your risk for one or...
What is the effect of alcohol on men’s health?
Ronald Tamler, MDRonald Tamler, MD
Although a moderate amount of alcohol, such as a glass of red wine a day, may offer health benefits,...
Which is healthier, vodka or brandy?
Brandy is better for you than vodka. Learn why in this video with Dr. Oz.  
Are You a Binge Drinker and Don't Know It?