How can alcohol affect my stomach?

Patricia Raymond, MD
Gastroenterology
Alcohol may cause irritation of the stomach, called alcoholic gastritis. However, population studies suggest that moderate alcohol intake is associated with a reduced likelihood of H pylori infection, the causal organism in duodenal ulcers and gastric cancer. Although alcohol is not recommended as treatment for H pylori infection (you need a standard course of antibiotics), the Society of Wine Educators does suggest validity in I Timothy 5:23: “Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities.”

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Truth About Hangovers
The Truth About Hangovers
From the ancient practice of downing a mixture of ground bird beak and myrrh, to concoctions of Worcestershire sauce, raw egg and red pepper, hangover...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
What's a healthy alternative to wine?
You get plenty of health benefits from a glass of wine, but not if you pour too much. To learn about...
A Soda Sangria Recipe With No Alcohol
A Soda Sangria Recipe With No Alcohol