How can I avoid drinking too much when I'm out with friends?

There’s nothing wrong with having a cocktail or two, but it’s easy to overdo it. The next time you’re your sipping on something with friends, consider these points:
  • Cut back: Having only two glasses of red wine as opposed to four translates into saving about 300 calories a night. Over the course of a year, that’s 21 cups of sugar, equating to a 5-pound weight loss.
  • Make smart swaps: Instead of wine, try a vodka and soda. You’ll save around 100 calories. Flavored vodka with soda water provides a bubbly burst of sweetness without the excessive sugar or calories.
  • If your drink of choice is white wine, try creating your own spritzer: Use about 4 ounces of white wine with a big splash of lemon-lime seltzer water for around only 100 calories.
  • Go virgin: Don’t forget, you can still toast with classy cocktails sans alcohol.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Drunk driving is a crime. Getting behind the wheel while intoxicated not only puts your life in danger, it puts the lives of innocent victims at risk....
What should I know about drinking champagne?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The effects of champagne can sneak up on you. In this video, I will reveal how the bubbles in champa...
What does drinking in moderation mean?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Drinking in moderation means 2 beers or less per day for men; 1 beer or less per day for women (with...
What Are the Warnings and Dangers of Smoking (or Vaporizing) Alcohol?