How does alcohol consumption lead to hangover symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Alcohol has many effects on the body that can cause hangover symptoms. For example, the blood vessel dilation caused by alcohol can cause headaches. Alcohol also causes you to urinate more, and this loss of fluid from your body can cause dehydration-related dizziness and thirst. Alcohol can aggravate the delicate lining of the stomach, and alcohol-derived inflammation in the immune system can lead to memory problems and loss of concentration. The drop in blood sugar and sleepiness caused by alcohol consumption can cause fatigue and changes in mood.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Hidden Health Risks of That Extra Drink
“It’s quarter to three and there’s no one in the place, but you and me. One for my baby and one more for the road.” That’s the chorus of the hit song,...
Does alcohol affect women differently?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Men and women are not created equal when it comes to handling alcohol. Physiologically, there is a d...
What should I know about drinking champagne?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The effects of champagne can sneak up on you. In this video, I will reveal how the bubbles in champa...
What does drinking in moderation mean?
For men under the age of 65, two drinks a day is considered moderate drinking. If you're female or a...