How does alcohol consumption affect overall health?

Drinking alcohol can cause many health problems, including these:
  • Over time, heavy drinking can damage your heart and raise your blood pressure.
  • Alcohol can keep your blood pressure medication from working well.
  • Calories in alcohol can cause weight gain, which is another high blood pressure risk factor.
This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

What Really Happens to Your Body When You Drink
Whether it’s a pint of beer at the pub or a glass of wine at the end of a long day, we often think of alcohol as a good thing. Drinking relaxes us. It...
What’s the Healthiest Drinking Age?
What’s the Healthiest Drinking Age?
In The Hangover (2008), Zach Galifianakis (Alan), Bradley Cooper (Phil) and Justin Bartha (Doug) prove the point that researchers from Boston Universi...
Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Drunk driving is a crime. Getting behind the wheel while intoxicated not only puts your life in danger, it puts the lives of innocent victims at risk....
What Should I Know About Drinking Champagne?