How does drinking alcohol at night affect a surgeon's skills the next day?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
In the Archives of Surgery, a paper was published that looked at the technical skills of surgeons the morning after a bender. A dinner with 10-26 drinks of alcohol, even followed by a good night's sleep, was enough to impair the surgeons the next day. Despite the fact that your surgeon might not have alcohol on his or her breath, and even with a normal breathalyzer test, more errors would be expected in the operating room.

Amazingly, when surgeons performed tasks at 9 a.m., 1 p.m. and even 4 p.m. the day after drinking, they were still impaired! Alcohol doesn't have the short-term effects that many people think it has. Brain and liver function are altered for many hours, even days, after drinking heavily.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Alcohol-Cigarette Equivalency
The Alcohol-Cigarette Equivalency
In Paul Newman’s booze- and cigarette-laced performance in the 1982 film The Verdict, a man struggles to find a way out of his smoky, alcoholic haze. ...
Does alcohol affect women differently?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Men and women are not created equal when it comes to handling alcohol. Physiologically, there is a d...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
A Soda Sangria Recipe With No Alcohol
A Soda Sangria Recipe With No Alcohol