Why does my heart beat faster when I drink alcohol?

Drinking alcohol can cause the heart rate to speed up. In this video, Dr. Oz explains what may be causing a racing heartbeat after drinking.

Westby G. Fisher, MD
Alcohol is a diuretic. As such, it causes people to lose intravascular volume. In response to this drop in volume, the heart increases its flow by first increasing the force of contraction with each heartbeat, then later by increasing the heart rate to make sure blood pressure is maintained.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Truth About Hangovers
The Truth About Hangovers
From the ancient practice of downing a mixture of ground bird beak and myrrh, to concoctions of Worcestershire sauce, raw egg and red pepper, hangover...
How is powdered alcohol taken?
Yael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MDYael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MD
Powdered alcohol is taken by adding liquid to the packet of product and shaking it up. In this video...
Can drinking alcohol cause vitamin deficiencies?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Heavy drinking is known to cause folic acid deficiency. And even moderate drinking -- about one drin...
Beware of Drinking and Holiday Heart Syndrome