Why does my heart beat faster when I drink alcohol?

Westby G. Fisher, MD
Alcohol is a diuretic. As such, it causes people to lose intravascular volume. In response to this drop in volume, the heart increases its flow by first increasing the force of contraction with each heartbeat, then later by increasing the heart rate to make sure blood pressure is maintained.
Drinking alcohol can cause the heart rate to speed up. In this video, Dr. Oz explains what may be causing a racing heartbeat after drinking.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Combating Drunk Driving in Hawaii
Drunk driving is a crime. Getting behind the wheel while intoxicated not only puts your life in danger, it puts the lives of innocent victims at risk....
What is powdered alcohol?
Powdered alcohol, or alcohol powder, is a product turns into liquid alcohol when mixed with water. I...
Can drinking alcohol cause vitamin deficiencies?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Heavy drinking is known to cause folic acid deficiency. And even moderate drinking -- about one drin...
How Does Smoking (or Vaporizing) Alcohol Affect the Body?