How does drinking alcohol on an empty stomach affect the body?

Emilia Klapp
Both whether you have eaten and what you have eaten influence how quickly alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream. Alcohol only can be processed at a certain rate by the liver; if more is ingested before the liver can metabolize it, it absorbs into the blood and organs, including the brain, causing intoxication. Slowing down the time it takes for the alcohol to become absorbed into the bloodstream helps the liver do its job. Some studies show that people who drank alcohol after a meal with fat, protein, and carbohydrates absorbed the alcohol about three times more slowly than when they drank the same amount on empty stomachs. The higher the fat content of a meal accompanying alcohol, the longer the absorption process takes.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

What Really Happens to Your Body When You Drink
Whether it’s a pint of beer at the pub or a glass of wine at the end of a long day, we often think of alcohol as a good thing. Drinking relaxes us. It...
How can I enjoy alcohol safely?
The best way to enjoy alcohol safely is to drink only in moderation. Recommendations are that women ...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
The 30-Day Dry Out Plan You Need to Try
The 30-Day Dry Out Plan You Need to Try