How does drinking alcohol on an empty stomach affect the body?

Emilia Klapp
Both whether you have eaten and what you have eaten influence how quickly alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream. Alcohol only can be processed at a certain rate by the liver; if more is ingested before the liver can metabolize it, it absorbs into the blood and organs, including the brain, causing intoxication. Slowing down the time it takes for the alcohol to become absorbed into the bloodstream helps the liver do its job. Some studies show that people who drank alcohol after a meal with fat, protein, and carbohydrates absorbed the alcohol about three times more slowly than when they drank the same amount on empty stomachs. The higher the fat content of a meal accompanying alcohol, the longer the absorption process takes.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Hidden Health Risks of That Extra Drink
“It’s quarter to three and there’s no one in the place, but you and me. One for my baby and one more for the road.” That’s the chorus of the hit song,...
How does alcohol affect my heart?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Excessive alcohol use can raise blood pressure and cause heart failure. It can also contribute to ob...
Can women get wine bellies like men get beer bellies?
Wine is supposed to be healthy for you, but can it pack on the pounds? Dr. Oz says that women can ge...
How to Pick a Healthy Beer
How to Pick a Healthy Beer