How does drinking alcohol affect my bone health?

Many people think drinking alcohol is healthy. Dr. Oz explains the effect that alcohol has on bone health in a video based on the children's game Operation.

Alcohol (ethanol), when consumed in excess, may generate so much acid that neutralization of the extra acid load becomes too slow. Consequently, the acid begins to degrade bone tissue, reduce bone density and place the chronic drinker at risk of osteoporosis and fractures.

Drinking an excessive amount of alcohol has a harmful effect on bone health, as well as overall health. If you drink more than two servings of alcohol a day, you are increasing your risk for osteoporosis. This is because it is thought that alcohol prevents your body from absorbing enough calcium.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

How Much Wine Is Too Much?
How Much Wine Is Too Much?
Reaching for a glass of wine at the end of the day? You’re not alone. According to the Wine Institute, Americans drank 949 million gallons of wine in ...
How can ignition interlocks help prevent drunk driving?
Ignition interlocks prevent drivers who were convicted of alcohol-impaired driving from operating th...
How much alcohol should I drink daily to help my heart?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Dozens of studies have suggested that moderate consumption of alcohol reduces the risk for heart...
Does Your Face Flush After Drinking Alcohol?