Does red wine help anti-aging genes?

The ancients believed that wine was the stuff of life.

Today, scientists believe they may have been right. Especially when it comes to red wine.

Wine may help sirtuins become anti-aging genes because they contain a substance called resveratrol, an ingredient, it turns out, in grape skins. Resveretrol, found in greater amounts in red wine, spurs the anti-aging work of sirtuins by acting like something called nictotinamide adenine dinculeotide, or NAD. NAD usually converts the glucose from food into energy. When caloric intake is reduced, the NAD looks for something else to do, which means it helps the sirtuins better function.

In a study, yeast lived 70 percent longer when given resveratrol. Mice enjoyed the substance too. Those given high-fat diets in conjunction with resveretrol lived longer than mice given high-fat diets without resveretrol, indicating that resveretrol may stimulate caloric reduction and in turn activate anti-aging sirtuins.

It will take a lot more study to see if this effect holds true in humans. First of all, we live a lot longer than mice. And secondly, an average-sized man would have to drink as much as 1,500 bottles of red win a day to consume as much resvertrol as the mice got.

Not even Socrates could drink that much.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Hidden Health Risks of That Extra Drink
“It’s quarter to three and there’s no one in the place, but you and me. One for my baby and one more for the road.” That’s the chorus of the hit song,...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health
8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health8 Subtle Ways Alcohol Is Hurting Your Health
Feeling down, tired or broke after having a few drinks? Learn to recognize the not-so-obvious ways that alcohol can affect your overall quality of lif...
Beer Is Good for Your Heart, Too!
Beer Is Good for Your Heart, Too!