Why can alcohol be bad for my health if I have diabetes?

Emilia Klapp
Although it has calories, alcohol is not a fat, a protein, or a carbohydrate. The body considers it a poison that needs to be broken down and removed as soon as possible to prevent it from damaging cells and organs. If it moves through the bloodstream faster than it can be broken down, it affects the brain, causing impairment and intoxication. In addition, it also causes hypoglycemic symptoms because the body does not release glucose into your system until the alcohol is gone. Alcohol can accumulate in nerve cells, intensifying damage from high glucose levels, as well as raising triglycerides, blood pressure, and the risk of cataracts.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
Should I eat before going out for drinks?
Keri GansKeri Gans
You should eat a meal before you go for drinks. If it is an early night, eat a snack. Without a meal...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
Does Alcohol at Bedtime Affect Men and Women in the Same Way?