Why can alcohol be bad for my health if I have diabetes?

Emilia Klapp
Although it has calories, alcohol is not a fat, a protein, or a carbohydrate. The body considers it a poison that needs to be broken down and removed as soon as possible to prevent it from damaging cells and organs. If it moves through the bloodstream faster than it can be broken down, it affects the brain, causing impairment and intoxication. In addition, it also causes hypoglycemic symptoms because the body does not release glucose into your system until the alcohol is gone. Alcohol can accumulate in nerve cells, intensifying damage from high glucose levels, as well as raising triglycerides, blood pressure, and the risk of cataracts.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
What can states do to help prevent drinking and driving?
To help prevent drunk driving, states can enforce 0.08% blood alcohol concentration and minimum lega...
How is powdered alcohol taken?
Yael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MDYael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MD
Powdered alcohol is taken by adding liquid to the packet of product and shaking it up. In this video...
The 30-Day Dry Out Plan You Need to Try
The 30-Day Dry Out Plan You Need to Try