Why would my doctor prescribe albuterol syrup?

Albuterol syrup may be prescribed for people who cannot or do not want to take this drug in its other forms, such as tablets or through an inhaler. This drug is approved for children age 2 years and over and adults to treat symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), such as wheezing or bronchial spasms that make it hard to breathe. It works by relaxing the air passages in the lungs, making it easier for you to breathe.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

How soon after taking albuterol will my symptoms improve?
Depending on the severity of your symptoms and dose form used (inhalation, tablet or liquid), yo...
Who should not take albuterol extended-release tablets?
To avoid potential complications or side effects, don't take albuterol extended-release tablets ...
What should I tell my doctor before taking albuterol?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Before taking albuterol, tell your doctor if you have or have ever had an irregular heartbeat, h...
What is albuterol?
Albuterol is a bronchodilator medication used to treat symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructiv...