Who should not take albuterol syrup?

People who have had an allergic reaction to other forms of albuterol or to other types of bronchodilators should not take albuterol syrup. The same is true for anyone who has had a reaction to any of the other ingredients in this form of albuterol, an asthma drug that works by relaxing airways to relieve symptoms such as wheezing and bronchial spasms.

Albuterol can interact with other medications, so be sure to let your doctor know what other drugs (as well as supplements) you're taking. Before you begin treatment with albuterol, you should also make sure your doctor knows if you have a history of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, hypothyroidism or a seizure disorder. Babies and toddlers shouldn't take albuterol syrup: It's only approved for children over age 2 years.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it safe for my child to take albuterol?
Whether albuterol is safe for your child depends on how the drug is formulated and how old your ...
How should I store albuterol extended-release tablets?
You should store albuterol extended-release tablets at room temperature, tightly closed in the o...
What is albuterol?
Albuterol is a bronchodilator medication used to treat symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructiv...
Who should take albuterol?
Albuterol is intended for both children and adults to relieve breathing difficulties caused by a...