What are the possible side effects of AccuNeb?

AccuNeb (albuterol sulfate), an inhaled asthma medication, may cause a number of side effects in children, including:
  • fast or irregular heartbeat
  • chest pain
  • uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
  • nervousness
  • headache
  • nausea or vomiting
  • cough or throat irritation
  • pain in the muscles, bones or back
Tell your child's doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or won't go away.

AccuNeb may trigger a dangerous allergic reaction in some children. It also can cause bronchospasm -- in which the muscles around your child's airways get even tighter. Both of these side effects can be life-threatening. Call the doctor or seek immediate medical help if your child experiences:
  • hives, rash
  • swelling of the face, eyelids, lips, tongue or throat
  • difficulty swallowing
  • hoarseness
  • worsening of breathing problems, such as wheezing, shortness of breath or chest tightness
  • loss of consciousness

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it possible to overdose on albuterol?
It is possible to overdose on albuterol. Too much of this drug, which treats lung conditions suc...
Is it safe for my child to take albuterol extended-release tablets?
If your child is older than 6 years, it's most likely safe for her to take albuterol extended-re...
What should I avoid while taking Albuterol?
You may need to avoid certain prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs while taking a...
Why would my doctor prescribe albuterol syrup?
Albuterol syrup may be prescribed for people who cannot or do not want to take this drug in its ...