What is salbutamol?

Salbutamol is another name for the generic drug albuterol. This kind of drug is called a bronchodilator. It is breathed into the lungs with the help of an inhaler or atomizer. This drug works by relaxing the airway muscles to make breathing easier for people who have lung problems like asthma, bronchitis, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). People whose lungs tighten up after they exercise may also use it to prevent a spasm. In the United States, salbutamol is the medicine in the prescription bronchodilators Proventil, Ventolin, Accuneb, and ProAir.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it possible to overdose on albuterol?
It is possible to overdose on albuterol. Too much of this drug, which treats lung conditions suc...
Is it safe to take albuterol extended-release tablets if I'm pregnant?
Studies have found that albuterol extended-release tablets can cause birth defects in animals, b...
Are there any risks to taking albuterol extended-release tablets?
The most common minor side effects of albuterol extended-release tablets are nervousness, tremor...
Could I have an allergic reaction to albuterol syrup?
It's possible to have an allergic reaction to albuterol syrup or to other ingredients in this as...