How soon after taking salbutamol will my symptoms improve?

Each of the several prescription drugs that contain salbutamol, also named albuterol, have different effect times. In general, the drugs that are taken by inhaler take about 10 to 15 minutes or less to make a change in breathing ability. The kinds that are administered with a nebulizer take about 30 minutes or less. These are not intended to help acute episodes of breathing problems. All forms of salbutamol may be prescribed to be taken regularly, because the positive effects last two to six hours, which will help maintain breathing ability over the course of the day. For people with exercise-induced bronchospasm, salbutamol is taken 15 to 30 minutes before exercise to prevent a spasm.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Why would my doctor prescribe albuterol?
If your doctor prescribes albuterol for you, it would be to treat a lung condition such as asthm...
Is it safe for my child to take albuterol?
Whether albuterol is safe for your child depends on how the drug is formulated and how old your ...
How should I take albuterol extended-release tablets?
Follow your doctor’s instructions for taking albuterol extended-release tablets, which come in d...
Who should not take albuterol syrup?
People who have had an allergic reaction to other forms of albuterol or to other types of bronch...