How does salbutamol treat exercise-induced bronchospasm?

In treating the condition exercise-induced bronchospasm, salbutamol relaxes the airway muscles to prevent them from tightening up after exercising. It works on the nervous system by activating the beta receptors whose purpose is to help send signals to the smooth muscles, such as the muscles along the bronchial tubes in the lungs. Salbutamol, also called albuterol, signals these muscles to relax.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

What is albuterol?
Albuterol is a bronchodilator medication used to treat symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructiv...
How does albuterol treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the chronic blockage of airways in the lungs, us...
What should I tell my doctor before taking albuterol?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Before taking albuterol, tell your doctor if you have or have ever had an irregular heartbeat, h...
Who should take albuterol?
Albuterol is intended for both children and adults to relieve breathing difficulties caused by a...