Does salbutamol have any other uses?

One possible side effect of salbutamol is hypokalemia, or low potassium levels in the blood. The cause of this side effect is uncertain. Some doctors have started taking advantage of this side effect and have begun to prescribe salbutamol to treat people with high levels of potassium in the blood, or hyperkalemia. Salbutamol was not clinically tested for the purpose of treating abnormally high potassium, so hyperkalemia is not included on the drug label and is not FDA approved for this use.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

What if I miss a dose of albuterol extended-release tablets?
Take your missed albuterol extended-release tablet as soon as you remember it. But if it's nearl...
What are the side effects of albuterol syrup?
Among the most common side effects of albuterol syrup are dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, dia...
Who should not take albuterol syrup?
People who have had an allergic reaction to other forms of albuterol or to other types of bronch...
How should I take albuterol?
You should take albuterol exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Albuterol can be taken with a me...