Does salbutamol have any other uses?

One possible side effect of salbutamol is hypokalemia, or low potassium levels in the blood. The cause of this side effect is uncertain. Some doctors have started taking advantage of this side effect and have begun to prescribe salbutamol to treat people with high levels of potassium in the blood, or hyperkalemia. Salbutamol was not clinically tested for the purpose of treating abnormally high potassium, so hyperkalemia is not included on the drug label and is not FDA approved for this use.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

What should I know about albuterol before taking it?
Albuterol is used to relieve symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
What if I miss a dose of albuterol extended-release tablets?
Take your missed albuterol extended-release tablet as soon as you remember it. But if it's nearl...
Who should not take albuterol extended-release tablets?
To avoid potential complications or side effects, don't take albuterol extended-release tablets ...
Can I take albuterol extended-release tablets if I'm nursing?
It isn't known if extended-release albuterol passes into breast milk. Because this asthma drug h...