How does Proair HFA treat muscle paralysis?

Usually, Proair (albuterol) HFA is used to relax the muscles in the airways to increase air flow to the lungs. In rare cases, inhaled albuterol has been used to treat muscle paralysis in people with attacks of paralysis due to high blood levels of potassium. It is thought that, since albuterol (intravenous or inhaled) causes potassium to move from the blood into the cells, it may relieve the paralysis attacks by lowering the potassium level in the blood.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is there a generic version of albuterol?
Albuterol itself is a generic drug. Since albuterol is available as a metered dose inhaler, inha...
Is it safe for my child to take albuterol?
Whether albuterol is safe for your child depends on how the drug is formulated and how old your ...
How should I take albuterol sulfate?
How you take albuterol, a drug used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, d...
Who should not take albuterol?
You should not take albuterol if you are allergic or taking another sympathomimetic medication, ...