How does Proair HFA treat muscle paralysis?

Usually, Proair (albuterol) HFA is used to relax the muscles in the airways to increase air flow to the lungs. In rare cases, inhaled albuterol has been used to treat muscle paralysis in people with attacks of paralysis due to high blood levels of potassium. It is thought that, since albuterol (intravenous or inhaled) causes potassium to move from the blood into the cells, it may relieve the paralysis attacks by lowering the potassium level in the blood.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

What is albuterol syrup?
Albuterol syrup is a prescription drug that prevents and relieves bronchospasms (airway spasms) ...
Could albuterol extended-release tablets cause headaches and tremors?
Headaches and tremors are two of the more commonly reported adverse effects associated with albu...
Are there any risks to taking albuterol extended-release tablets?
The most common minor side effects of albuterol extended-release tablets are nervousness, tremor...
What should I tell my doctor before taking albuterol?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Before taking albuterol, tell your doctor if you have or have ever had an irregular heartbeat, h...