If I am pregnant, is it safe to use albuterol?

Little is known about the effects of albuterol during pregnancy. But there's no question that the breathing problems this drug treats -- including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) -- can be dangerous for an expectant mom, as well as for a developing fetus, which needs adequate oxygen to thrive.

In weighing the benefits and risks of albuterol during pregnancy, experts emphasize that it's important to control asthma, and recommend the inhaled versions of albuterol for quick relief of asthma symptoms. Your doctor can determine which version of this drug is best for you.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Could I have an allergic reaction to albuterol syrup?
It's possible to have an allergic reaction to albuterol syrup or to other ingredients in this as...
Who should not take albuterol sulfate?
If you're allergic to any ingredient in albuterol sulfate or if you've ever had a reaction to ot...
Is there a generic version of albuterol?
Albuterol itself is a generic drug. Since albuterol is available as a metered dose inhaler, inha...
Can I take albuterol extended-release tablets if I'm nursing?
It isn't known if extended-release albuterol passes into breast milk. Because this asthma drug h...