If I am pregnant, is it safe to use albuterol?

Little is known about the effects of albuterol during pregnancy. But there's no question that the breathing problems this drug treats -- including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) -- can be dangerous for an expectant mom, as well as for a developing fetus, which needs adequate oxygen to thrive.

In weighing the benefits and risks of albuterol during pregnancy, experts emphasize that it's important to control asthma, and recommend the inhaled versions of albuterol for quick relief of asthma symptoms. Your doctor can determine which version of this drug is best for you.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Who should take albuterol?
Albuterol is intended for both children and adults to relieve breathing difficulties caused by a...
How should I store albuterol extended-release tablets?
You should store albuterol extended-release tablets at room temperature, tightly closed in the o...
What are the side effects of albuterol tablets?
In rare cases, albuterol extended-release tablets may cause a severe allergic reaction that lead...
Who should not take albuterol sulfate?
If you're allergic to any ingredient in albuterol sulfate or if you've ever had a reaction to ot...