If I am pregnant, is it safe to use albuterol?

Little is known about the effects of albuterol during pregnancy. But there's no question that the breathing problems this drug treats -- including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) -- can be dangerous for an expectant mom, as well as for a developing fetus, which needs adequate oxygen to thrive.

In weighing the benefits and risks of albuterol during pregnancy, experts emphasize that it's important to control asthma, and recommend the inhaled versions of albuterol for quick relief of asthma symptoms. Your doctor can determine which version of this drug is best for you.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Why would my doctor prescribe albuterol syrup?
Albuterol syrup may be prescribed for people who cannot or do not want to take this drug in its ...
How does albuterol sulfate interact with other medications?
Albuterol sulfate may interact with other medications, so it's important to tell your doctor abo...
Is it safe for my child to take albuterol?
Whether albuterol is safe for your child depends on how the drug is formulated and how old your ...
Is Albuterol safe for pregnant or breast feeding women?
Terrie WatkinsTerrie Watkins
Albuterol is a category "C" medication which means some animal studies have indicated a possible pro...