Is it safe to take albuterol if I'm breastfeeding?

If you're breastfeeding, any potential risks to your baby depend largely on the type of albuterol you use. Because extended-release albuterol tablets have been shown to cause tumors in animal studies, the manufacturer recommends that new mothers who take them stop nursing. The other option is to not take albuterol and continue breastfeeding, or to choose a form of the drug that has less potential for risk. Studies suggest that with inhaled albuterol, very little medicine ends up in breast milk, so experts consider it safe to nurse a baby while using an albuterol inhaler. Your doctor will be able to determine the best option for you and your child.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

How should I take albuterol sulfate?
How you take albuterol, a drug used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, d...
Is it safe for my child to take albuterol?
Whether albuterol is safe for your child depends on how the drug is formulated and how old your ...
How should I store albuterol extended-release tablets?
You should store albuterol extended-release tablets at room temperature, tightly closed in the o...
Who should not take albuterol syrup?
People who have had an allergic reaction to other forms of albuterol or to other types of bronch...