Is it safe to take albuterol if I'm breastfeeding?

If you're breastfeeding, any potential risks to your baby depend largely on the type of albuterol you use. Because extended-release albuterol tablets have been shown to cause tumors in animal studies, the manufacturer recommends that new mothers who take them stop nursing. The other option is to not take albuterol and continue breastfeeding, or to choose a form of the drug that has less potential for risk. Studies suggest that with inhaled albuterol, very little medicine ends up in breast milk, so experts consider it safe to nurse a baby while using an albuterol inhaler. Your doctor will be able to determine the best option for you and your child.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it safe for my child to take albuterol extended-release tablets?
If your child is older than 6 years, it's most likely safe for her to take albuterol extended-re...
How should I store albuterol extended-release tablets?
You should store albuterol extended-release tablets at room temperature, tightly closed in the o...
What happens if I miss a dose of albuterol?
If you miss a dose of albuterol, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it, and take remai...
What should I know about albuterol sulfate before taking it?
Before taking albuterol sulfate, you should know about some of the risks associated with it. Albuter...