Is it safe for my child to take albuterol?

Whether albuterol is safe for your child depends on how the drug is formulated and how old your child is. There is an albuterol solution for use in a nebulizer that's approved for children between 2 and 12, but the aerosol version used in inhalers is not recommended for children younger than age 12. Albuterol sulfate tablets and extended-release tablets should not be given to children younger than age 6. The syrup form of albuterol sulfate is not recommended for children younger than age 2.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Does albuterol interact with other medications?
Yes, albuterol is known to interact with some medications. Taking albuterol in conjunction with ...
What are the side effects of albuterol?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Albuterol (medication that relaxes the smooth muscle cells in the bronchioles, dilating the air ...
Could I have an allergic reaction to albuterol syrup?
It's possible to have an allergic reaction to albuterol syrup or to other ingredients in this as...
Who should take albuterol extended-release tablets?
Albuterol extended-release tablets are prescribed for people with asthma or chronic obstructive ...