Is it safe for my child to take albuterol?

Whether albuterol is safe for your child depends on how the drug is formulated and how old your child is. There is an albuterol solution for use in a nebulizer that's approved for children between 2 and 12, but the aerosol version used in inhalers is not recommended for children younger than age 12. Albuterol sulfate tablets and extended-release tablets should not be given to children younger than age 6. The syrup form of albuterol sulfate is not recommended for children younger than age 2.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

What are the side effects of albuterol?
Like most drugs, albuterol may cause side effects in some people. In rare cases, taking the drug...
What is albuterol?
Albuterol is a bronchodilator medication used to treat symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructiv...
How does albuterol help treat asthma?
Asthma is a condition in which the airways in your lungs get narrow, swell up, produce excess mucus ...
Why would my doctor prescribe albuterol?
If your doctor prescribes albuterol for you, it would be to treat a lung condition such as asthm...