Is it possible to overdose on albuterol?

It is possible to overdose on albuterol. Too much of this drug, which treats lung conditions such as asthma by opening up airways, can be life threatening. Instead of opening airways, too much albuterol can cause them to suddenly constrict, making it even harder to breathe. Other signs of an albuterol overdose can include:
  • trouble falling asleep or staying asleep
  • lack of energy
  • excessive tiredness
  • dizziness
  • nausea
  • dry mouth
  • uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
  • headache
  • nervousness
  • fast, irregular or pounding heartbeat
  • chest pain
  • seizures
If you experience any of these symptoms, stop taking the medicine and seek immediate medical help. And make sure you understand how much albuterol you are supposed to take.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

What should I avoid while taking Albuterol?
You may need to avoid certain prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs while taking a...
Is it safe to take albuterol extended-release tablets if I'm pregnant?
Studies have found that albuterol extended-release tablets can cause birth defects in animals, b...
Why would my doctor prescribe albuterol syrup?
Albuterol syrup may be prescribed for people who cannot or do not want to take this drug in its ...
How does albuterol treat hyperkalemia?
Albuterol lowers the elevated potassium levels in the bloodstream that characterize hyperkalemia...