How should I take salbutamol?

Salbutamol is the base ingredient in several prescription drugs that are breathed in through an inhaler or a nebulizer. Each prescription drug may have slightly different instructions, and your doctor may decide to alter the normal dose based on your condition or other medications you are taking. Pay close attention to the directions from your doctor. In general, when using an inhaler, make sure to close your mouth completely over the opening and hold your breath for about ten seconds before exhaling. Wait a full minute between puffs. On average, the inhaler form of salbutamol is taken as two puffs every four to six hours as needed, or 15 to 30 minutes before exercising, but this can vary depending on your medical condition and which brand and prescription strength you are using. A nebulizer is a machine that changes a liquid into droplets small enough to breathe through a face mask. The prescription package will come with instructions for how to use the device. On average, the nebulizer form of salbutamol is used up to three or four times a day as needed.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it safe for my child to take albuterol?
Whether albuterol is safe for your child depends on how the drug is formulated and how old your ...
How does albuterol treat hyperkalemia?
Albuterol lowers the elevated potassium levels in the bloodstream that characterize hyperkalemia...
Is there a generic version of albuterol?
Albuterol itself is a generic drug. Since albuterol is available as a metered dose inhaler, inha...
What should I tell my doctor before taking albuterol?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Before taking albuterol, tell your doctor if you have or have ever had an irregular heartbeat, h...