How does albuterol treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the chronic blockage of airways in the lungs, usually from a combination of emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Albuterol is a bronchodilator used to treat COPD. Albuterol relaxes the muscles around your airways in the lungs, which increases the flow of air and relieves breathing difficulties. Depending on the severity of your COPD, you may need to use albuterol before activities on a daily basis, or a combination of both. While albuterol can relieve symptoms, it is not a cure for COPD.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Why would my doctor prescribe albuterol?
If your doctor prescribes albuterol for you, it would be to treat a lung condition such as asthm...
Is it safe to take albuterol extended-release tablets if I'm pregnant?
Studies have found that albuterol extended-release tablets can cause birth defects in animals, b...
Could albuterol extended-release tablets cause headaches and tremors?
Headaches and tremors are two of the more commonly reported adverse effects associated with albu...
How should I take albuterol syrup?
Albuterol syrup is taken by mouth to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COP...