Is Ventolin an emergency inhaler?

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology
The short answer is "yes". Ventolin is a rescue inhaler. It is one brand name for the drug albuterol. Albuterol is generally used to prevent or abort wheezing. Wheezing (asthma attack) occurs the muscles of the airway (breathing tubes) spasm (constrict) causing bronchoconstriction. Albuterol acts quickly to relax (dilate) the airway muscles. Another part of asthma is inflammation. This is usually controlled by a steroid based inhaler. Steroid inhalers are not rescue inhalers and cannot abort an asthma attack. Albuterol and all other asthma medications should be taken as directed by your physician as part of a comprehensive asthma plan.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

How should I take albuterol?
You should take albuterol exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Albuterol can be taken with a me...
If I am pregnant, is it safe to use albuterol?
Little is known about the effects of albuterol during pregnancy. But there's no question that th...
Is it safe to take albuterol if I'm breastfeeding?
If you're breastfeeding, any potential risks to your baby depend largely on the type of albutero...
Who should not take albuterol sulfate?
If you're allergic to any ingredient in albuterol sulfate or if you've ever had a reaction to ot...