Is Ventolin an emergency inhaler?

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology
The short answer is "yes". Ventolin is a rescue inhaler. It is one brand name for the drug albuterol. Albuterol is generally used to prevent or abort wheezing. Wheezing (asthma attack) occurs the muscles of the airway (breathing tubes) spasm (constrict) causing bronchoconstriction. Albuterol acts quickly to relax (dilate) the airway muscles. Another part of asthma is inflammation. This is usually controlled by a steroid based inhaler. Steroid inhalers are not rescue inhalers and cannot abort an asthma attack. Albuterol and all other asthma medications should be taken as directed by your physician as part of a comprehensive asthma plan.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it possible to overdose on albuterol?
It is possible to overdose on albuterol. Too much of this drug, which treats lung conditions suc...
How does albuterol help treat pulmonary diseases?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Albuterol is in a class of medications called adrenergic bronchodilators. These drugs stimulate ...
Who should take albuterol?
Albuterol is intended for both children and adults to relieve breathing difficulties caused by a...
What should I tell my doctor before taking albuterol?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Before taking albuterol, tell your doctor if you have or have ever had an irregular heartbeat, h...