How does albuterol help treat asthma?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Asthma is a condition in which the airways in your lungs get narrow, swell up, produce excess mucus and complicate breathing. Albuterol (or salbutamol) is a bronchodilator that helps prevent and relieve the bronchial spasms that narrow the airways in your lungs. Albuterol relaxes the airway muscles, which can relieve symptoms including coughing, shortness of breath and wheezing. It works on the nervous system by activating the beta receptors, whose purpose is to help send signals to the smooth muscles, such as the muscles along the bronchial tubes in the lungs. Albuterol signals these muscles to relax, so that they do not spasm.

Albuterol is not a cure for asthma.

Extended-release tablets
The extended-release version of albuterol sulfate is intended to provide relief for some of the symptoms of asthma, such as wheezing, tightness and labored breathing. It's also not a cure, and so while taking it you may find that you still have trouble breathing.

Talk to your doctor about your treatment options if your asthma symptoms persist while you're on albuterol extended-release tablets. They may decide to prescribe other medications, such as corticosteroids, which can reduce inflammation in the airways.

Albuteral and NovoLog
People with diabetes can take NovoLog if they need to take albuterol for asthma. Check your blood sugar to make sure you do not have low blood sugar before taking NovoLog and do not skip meals after either dose.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

What if I miss a dose of albuterol extended-release tablets?
Take your missed albuterol extended-release tablet as soon as you remember it. But if it's nearl...
How should I take albuterol?
You should take albuterol exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Albuterol can be taken with a me...
What are the side effects of albuterol tablets?
In rare cases, albuterol extended-release tablets may cause a severe allergic reaction that lead...
How does albuterol sulfate interact with other medications?
Albuterol sulfate may interact with other medications, so it's important to tell your doctor abo...