Can I use diuretics while using Proventil?

If you take diuretics, you should be careful when using Proventil (albuterol for inhalation). Diuretics can cause decreased potassium blood levels because they can increase the excretion of potassium. This is a problem when added to the decrease in potassium your blood level casued by albuterol. Talk to your doctor about checking your potassium levels regularly, and discuss how diuretics will interact with your Proventil treatment.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it safe for my child to take albuterol extended-release tablets?
If your child is older than 6 years, it's most likely safe for her to take albuterol extended-re...
How does albuterol treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the chronic blockage of airways in the lungs, us...
Is there a generic version of albuterol?
Albuterol itself is a generic drug. Since albuterol is available as a metered dose inhaler, inha...
How does albuterol help treat pulmonary diseases?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Albuterol is in a class of medications called adrenergic bronchodilators. These drugs stimulate ...