Are there any risks in taking salbutamol?

Salbutamol, also called albuterol, poses a risk for dangerously low levels of potassium in the blood. This condition is called hypokalemia. Some of the side effects of salbutamol that are also symptoms of low potassium are: excessive weakness; urinary problems; difficulty breathing; stomach and intestinal upset; or the feeling of "pins and needles" in your fingers, toes, or face. Do not take salbutamol if you have an allergy to it or any of the medication's other ingredients, or if you're taking a medication that interacts negatively with salbutamol. Certain medical conditions, like high blood pressure or heart disease, diabetes, seizure disorders, or an overactive thyroid, may become worse if you take salbutamol. It's also possible that salbutamol may actually make your breathing problems worse after you take it; if this happens, discontinue the medication. Salbutamol is not considered safe for pregnant women or breast-feeding mothers, so talk to your doctor if you're currently pregnant or planning a pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is it possible to overdose on albuterol?
It is possible to overdose on albuterol. Too much of this drug, which treats lung conditions suc...
What should I know before taking albuterol extended-release tablets?
Albuterol extended-release tablets may sometimes lead to the sudden exacerbation of breathing pr...
Can I take albuterol extended-release tablets if I'm nursing?
It isn't known if extended-release albuterol passes into breast milk. Because this asthma drug h...
How does albuterol treat hyperkalemia?
Albuterol lowers the elevated potassium levels in the bloodstream that characterize hyperkalemia...