What should I know about albuterol sulfate before taking it?

Before taking albuterol sulfate, you should know about some of the risks associated with it. Albuterol sulfate may sometimes lead to the sudden worsening of breathing problems. This is known as paradoxical bronchospasm. If this occurs after taking albuterol sulfate, get emergency medical attention right away. The risk for this and other potentially-serious side effects is increased if you take too much albuterol sulfate, so it's very important to use this medication according to your doctor's directions. Overdose of albuterol sulfate may lead to heart attack or even death. If you start to experience symptoms of an overdose, such as irregular heartbeat, changes in blood pressure, nervousness, dizziness, insomnia, nausea, headache, or tremors, get emergency medical attention. Your doctor will decide which form of albuterol sulfate is best for you and will tell you how to take that particular form. If you're taking albuterol sulfate solution, make sure you fully understand how to use the nebulizer device. Don't adjust your dosage or switch forms unless specifically instructed by your doctor.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Is there a generic version of albuterol?
Albuterol itself is a generic drug. Since albuterol is available as a metered dose inhaler, inha...
Does albuterol interact with other medications?
Yes, albuterol is known to interact with some medications. Taking albuterol in conjunction with ...
Who should not take albuterol?
You should not take albuterol if you are allergic or taking another sympathomimetic medication, ...
What should I tell my doctor before taking albuterol?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Before taking albuterol, tell your doctor if you have or have ever had an irregular heartbeat, h...