Is there a generic version of salbutamol?

Salbutamol is the generic name of the base ingredient in the prescription drugs Proventil, Ventolin, ProAir and Accuneb. In the United States, the official generic name is albuterol, rather than salbutamol, although they are the same ingredient. "Salbutamol" is the name preferred by the World Health Organization and is the generic name used in Canada for similar prescription drugs.

Continue Learning about Albuterol

Who should not take albuterol sulfate?
If you're allergic to any ingredient in albuterol sulfate or if you've ever had a reaction to ot...
How soon after taking albuterol will my symptoms improve?
Depending on the severity of your symptoms and dose form used (inhalation, tablet or liquid), yo...
What should I tell my doctor before taking albuterol?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Before taking albuterol, tell your doctor if you have or have ever had an irregular heartbeat, h...
Is Albuterol safe for pregnant or breast feeding women?
Terrie WatkinsTerrie Watkins
Albuterol is a category "C" medication which means some animal studies have indicated a possible pro...