Should I use an air filter in my home?

Home air filters sound like they'd be the best things for your lungs since snorkeling tubes. After all, when used and maintained properly, they can filter allergens out of the air.

Unfortunately, many people don't see big benefits after bringing an air filter home. Why? The primary reason isn't a mechanical malfunction, but an owner malfunction. Most people don't service the air filters regularly, so they're not that effective. They don't clean or change components as the directions recommend. If you stick to regular maintenance, however, air filters can be useful for taking allergens out of the air.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Air Quality

Avoid Traffic Pollution
Avoid Traffic Pollution
In the 1991 movie L.A. Story, TV meteorologist Harris Telemacher (Steve Martin) is feeling trapped in a cliché-ridden existence when his car breaks do...
How does cold weather affect my lungs?
Cold air often is dry air, which irritates the lining of the lungs. This causes cracks and swelling,...
What is particulate matter?
Particulate matter differs from ozone, carbon monoxide and other pollutants in that the term doe...
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality