Should I use an air filter in my home?

Home air filters sound like they'd be the best things for your lungs since snorkeling tubes. After all, when used and maintained properly, they can filter allergens out of the air.

Unfortunately, many people don't see big benefits after bringing an air filter home. Why? The primary reason isn't a mechanical malfunction, but an owner malfunction. Most people don't service the air filters regularly, so they're not that effective. They don't clean or change components as the directions recommend. If you stick to regular maintenance, however, air filters can be useful for taking allergens out of the air.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Air Quality

The Particulate Matter (PM) Air Pollution Quiz
By 2010, The Clean Air Act of 1970 caused the USA to reduce total emissions of six principal air pollutants by more than 41 percent, (while GDP increa...
Are most schools properly ventilated?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Most schools are poorly ventilated. Schools from the '70s were built to have low energy loss -- ...
Should I use an air humidifier at home?
If your throat and skin become dry in the winter months, having a humidifier may help that. But for ...
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality