How does cold weather affect my lungs?

Cold air often is dry air, which irritates the lining of the lungs. This causes cracks and swelling, which can exacerbate or bring on asthma. In addition, viruses thrive in cold weather, which is why winter is flu season. To help your lungs handle the chill, wrap your scarf over your mouth and nose to moisten the air before you inhale.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Air Quality

Protecting Your Health From Air Pollution
By 2010, the Clean Air Act of 1970 called for the U.S. to reduce total emissions of six principal air pollutants by more than 41 percent. Today the En...
Does altitude change the percentage of oxygen in the air?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The percentage of oxygen is the same at sea level as it is at high altitudes, which is roughly 21 pe...
How important is air quality for my health?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Yes, the quality of the air you breathe is important. Get outside at every opportunity. Think how wo...
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality