How does cold weather affect my lungs?

Cold air often is dry air, which irritates the lining of the lungs. This causes cracks and swelling, which can exacerbate or bring on asthma. In addition, viruses thrive in cold weather, which is why winter is flu season. To help your lungs handle the chill, wrap your scarf over your mouth and nose to moisten the air before you inhale.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Air Quality

Avoid Traffic Pollution
Avoid Traffic Pollution
In the 1991 movie L.A. Story, TV meteorologist Harris Telemacher (Steve Martin) is feeling trapped in a cliché-ridden existence when his car breaks do...
Who is at the greatest risk of respiratory problems due to air pollution?
Young children and stay-at-home mothers are often at greatest risk for the dangerous effects of air ...
How important is air quality for my health?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Yes, the quality of the air you breathe is important. Get outside at every opportunity. Think how wo...
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality