How does cold weather affect my lungs?

Cold air often is dry air, which irritates the lining of the lungs. This causes cracks and swelling, which can exacerbate or bring on asthma. In addition, viruses thrive in cold weather, which is why winter is flu season. To help your lungs handle the chill, wrap your scarf over your mouth and nose to moisten the air before you inhale.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Air Quality

The Particulate Matter (PM) Air Pollution Quiz
By 2010, The Clean Air Act of 1970 caused the USA to reduce total emissions of six principal air pollutants by more than 41 percent, (while GDP increa...
How does air pollution affect my health?
Choose to live where pollution rates are low. When you're selecting a place to live or work, che...
How can I check air quality each day?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Thanks to recent technology, the EPA and the National Weather Service have developed downloadable ap...
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality
7 Ways to Improve Your Air Quality