How can treating HIV help with AIDS-related lymphoma?

One of the cornerstones of treatment for AIDS-related lymphoma is treatment of the underlying human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. At one time, people with AIDS could not withstand full doses of cancer treatment because of their lowered immunity. But today, treatment that combats HIV - called highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) - enables people with AIDS-related lymphoma to take full doses of chemotherapy and other cancer-fighting drugs, or even higher doses in some cases.

In addition, HAART can boost immunity so that if AIDS-related lymphoma does develop, it tends to be a type that can be treated effectively with chemotherapy. All of this gives people a better chance of surviving AIDS-related lymphoma.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Lymphoma

What should I know about caring for someone with AIDS-related lymphoma?
If someone you care for has AIDS-related lymphoma, they may face complex treatment involving not onl...
What are the stages of AIDS-related lymphoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The stages of AIDS-related lymphoma are as follows:Stage IStage I AIDS-related lymphoma is divided i...
What follow-up care will I need for AIDS-related lymphoma?
During treatment for AIDS-related lymphoma, your doctor may need to run tests to check whether the t...
What are the major types of AIDS-related lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma is the most common type of AIDS-related lymphoma. This cancer (which includes s...