How are stem cells used to treat AIDS-related lymphoma?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
If you have AIDS-related lymphoma, you may be treated with chemotherapy drugs or radiation. These treatments can kill cancer cells, but they can also hurt your body's ability to rebuild blood cells. In some cases, you may be given an infusion of special cells called stem cells after chemotherapy is finished. Stem cells have the ability to grow new blood cells. Your own stem cells may be used, or stem cells may be collected from the bone marrow or blood of a donor.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Lymphoma

What follow-up care will I need for AIDS-related lymphoma?
During treatment for AIDS-related lymphoma, your doctor may need to run tests to check whether the t...
What is the rate of incidence of AIDS-related lymphoma?
There are a few different types of AIDS-related lymphomas. One of the most common -- non-Hodgkin lym...
What are the follow-up tests for AIDS-related lymphoma?
Some of the tests that were done to diagnose the cancer or to find out the stage of the cancer may b...
What are the stages of AIDS-related lymphoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The stages of AIDS-related lymphoma are as follows:Stage IStage I AIDS-related lymphoma is divided i...