How are stem cells used to treat AIDS-related lymphoma?

If you have AIDS-related lymphoma, you may be treated with chemotherapy drugs or radiation. These treatments can kill cancer cells, but they can also hurt your body's ability to rebuild blood cells. In some cases, you may be given an infusion of special cells called stem cells after chemotherapy is finished. Stem cells have the ability to grow new blood cells. Your own stem cells may be used, or stem cells may be collected from the bone marrow or blood of a donor.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Lymphoma

What should I know about caring for someone with AIDS-related lymphoma?
If someone you care for has AIDS-related lymphoma, they may face complex treatment involving not onl...
What is the rate of incidence of AIDS-related lymphoma?
There are a few different types of AIDS-related lymphomas. One of the most common -- non-Hodgkin lym...
What follow-up care will I need for AIDS-related lymphoma?
During treatment for AIDS-related lymphoma, your doctor may need to run tests to check whether the t...
Is AIDS-related lymphoma serious?
AIDS-related lymphoma is a serious condition. This type of cancer strikes people whose immune system...