How do I manage my AIDS-related lymphoma on a daily basis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Managing AIDS-related lymphoma involves treating not only the cancer, but also the underlying human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. You will probably need standard cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation - and in the meantime, you will probably need to continue taking highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) to combat HIV. HAART is an important part of treatment for AIDS-related lymphoma, as it can enable people with HIV to physically handle the large amounts of chemotherapy drugs they may need.

The whole process can be extremely stressful. If you have AIDS-related lymphoma, you may find it helpful to try some of the coping strategies that have worked for other people with cancer. Keep doing activities you like - including work and exercise, if you feel up to it - but make sure you rest as much as you need to. Allow friends and family to help with daily tasks and provide emotional support. You may also find it helps to find a support group in your neighborhood or online.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Lymphoma

What are the major types of AIDS-related lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma is the most common type of AIDS-related lymphoma. This cancer (which includes s...
What are the different types of AIDS lymphoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Lymphomas are divided into two general types: Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.Both Hodgkin...
What are the follow-up tests for AIDS-related lymphoma?
Some of the tests that were done to diagnose the cancer or to find out the stage of the cancer may b...
What should I know about caring for someone with AIDS-related lymphoma?
If someone you care for has AIDS-related lymphoma, they may face complex treatment involving not onl...