How does AIDS-related lymphoma affect children?

Children with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) do not typically develop cancers, but they do get non-Hodgkin and brain lymphomas more often than other children. Children usually get human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) from their mother, by coming into contact with her blood either before or as they are born, or from breastfeeding. If an HIV-positive pregnant woman gets HIV treatment and does not breastfeed after birth, the child has much less risk of HIV infection and AIDS-related lymphoma. As with adults, lymphoma is a dangerous form of cancer in children and must be treated.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Lymphoma

What are the follow-up tests for AIDS-related lymphoma?
Some of the tests that were done to diagnose the cancer or to find out the stage of the cancer may b...
What are the different types of AIDS lymphoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Lymphomas are divided into two general types: Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.Both Hodgkin...
What are the stages of AIDS-related lymphoma?
The stages of AIDS-related lymphoma are as follows:Stage IStage I AIDS-related lymphoma is divided i...
What follow-up care will I need for AIDS-related lymphoma?
During treatment for AIDS-related lymphoma, your doctor may need to run tests to check whether the t...