How do medications treat AIDS-related cancers?

Chemotherapy drugs may be used to treat some AIDS-related cancers, including lymphomas, cervical cancer, and Kaposi sarcoma. In addition, people with AIDS-related cancers should continue to take anti-HIV medications and any other medicines they need as directed, such as antibiotics to ward off infections. Depending on the type of cancer involved and the individual case, this one-two punch -- anti-HIV medicines plus cancer treatment -- can boost the odds of survival.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Cancers

Who is most at risk for AIDS-related cancers?
Individuals most at risk for AIDS-related cancers are those with untreated or improperly treated...
Should I talk to my doctor about my AIDS-related cancer symptoms?
If you have HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and notice symptoms that may be signs of cancer, you ...
Is there a cure for AIDS-related cancers?
Some cancers can be treated successfully, including many lymphomas, which are some of the most commo...
Can AIDS-related cancers be prevented?
Standard cancer prevention strategies - like avoiding tobacco and heavy alcohol use - can help anyon...