Do AIDS-related cancers affect children differently than adults?

Children are much less likely than adults to be infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). Fewer than 1 percent of HIV infections are diagnosed in children under 13. In addition, some of the major risk factors for AIDS-related cancers -- including smoking and certain sexually transmitted viruses -- are more likely to be associated with adults.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Cancers

Can AIDS-related cancers be prevented?
Standard cancer prevention strategies - like avoiding tobacco and heavy alcohol use - can help anyon...
Can treating HIV reduce the rate of AIDS-related cancers?
The widespread use of anti-HIV medication has slowed the rate of some AIDS-related cancers, but not ...
How do AIDS-related cancers affect the body?
Like all cancers, AIDS-related cancers occur when cells in the body grow in places where they are no...
Should I talk to my doctor about my AIDS-related cancer symptoms?
If you have HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and notice symptoms that may be signs of cancer, you ...