Should I talk to my doctor about my AIDS-related cancer symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Family Practitioner

If you have HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and notice symptoms that may be signs of cancer, you should talk to your doctor. Since there are several different AIDS-related cancers, symptoms can vary widely. Almost all of them can also be signs of other illnesses, too, so it is important to see a doctor to get the right diagnosis. Generally, if you have HIV and experience any new symptoms, consult your doctor immediately. If you do have AIDS-related cancer, cancer treatment along with HIV treatment can boost your odds of surviving the cancer.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Cancers

How common are AIDS-related cancers?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
About 25 to 40 percent of people with HIV or AIDS get cancer -- especially certain types. For exampl...
More Answers
Who is most at risk for AIDS-related cancers?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
You are most likely to develop the cancers considered AIDS-related if you have HIV (human immunodefi...
More Answers
How can my white blood cell count affect my AIDS-related cancer treatment?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
For people with AIDS-related cancers, a low white blood cell count could affect treatment. For examp...
More Answers
How do medications treat AIDS-related cancers?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Chemotherapy drugs may be used to treat some AIDS-related cancers, including lymphomas, cervical can...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.