How can my white blood cell count affect my AIDS-related cancer treatment?

For people with AIDS-related cancers, a low white blood cell count could affect treatment. For example, a woman who has a pre-cancerous growth removed from her cervix is more likely to see it return the lower her white blood cell count is (also called CD4 count or helper T-cell count), especially if it is below 50.

The white blood cell count is a good way to gauge the strength of the immune system. People with low white blood cell counts may not be able to take the standard amounts of chemotherapy medicines without damaging their bodies even further. However, taking anti-HIV medicine may help the body handle chemotherapy, which generally improves the treatment results.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Cancers

Are AIDS-related cancers contagious?
You cannot catch any type of cancer from another person. Cancer develops in the cells of the body an...
How can surgery treat AIDS-related cancers?
Surgery is one possible treatment for AIDS-related cancers, including cervical cancer and anal cance...
How can regular checkups help me avoid AIDS-related cancers?
If you have HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), regular medical checkups can help you detect AIDS-re...
Can AIDS-related cancers be prevented?
Standard cancer prevention strategies - like avoiding tobacco and heavy alcohol use - can help anyon...