How can my white blood cell count affect my AIDS-related cancer treatment?

For people with AIDS-related cancers, a low white blood cell count could affect treatment. For example, a woman who has a pre-cancerous growth removed from her cervix is more likely to see it return the lower her white blood cell count is (also called CD4 count or helper T-cell count), especially if it is below 50.

The white blood cell count is a good way to gauge the strength of the immune system. People with low white blood cell counts may not be able to take the standard amounts of chemotherapy medicines without damaging their bodies even further. However, taking anti-HIV medicine may help the body handle chemotherapy, which generally improves the treatment results.

Continue Learning about AIDS-Related Cancers

Can treating HIV reduce the rate of AIDS-related cancers?
The widespread use of anti-HIV medication has slowed the rate of some AIDS-related cancers, but not ...
Can AIDS-related cancers be prevented?
Standard cancer prevention strategies - like avoiding tobacco and heavy alcohol use - can help anyon...
How does my white blood cell count affect my risk for AIDS-related cancers?
If you have HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), a high white blood cell count can reduce your risk o...
What are the symptoms of AIDS-related cancers?
Different AIDS-related cancers have different symptoms:Cervical cancer seldom causes symptoms in its...